Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Watauga halfway to Alvarado

With some work cancelled tonight, I recognized some "found" time and decided on an impomptu ride on the trail.

I didn't want to repeat my recent trips on the Abingdon section closest to town so I hurried down to park at Watauga before dark. There appeared to be plenty of light when I got out of the truck and started out but the tree cover of the trail quickly made it seem darker than it was. I headed east (toward Alvarado), hoping to make it to the Holston Reservoir trestle and back before dark set in. I wasn't too far out when I realized that was a pipe dream because dark was coming on, although there was an almost-full moon that lit things off the trail quite well. It was an interesting phenomenon, barely being able to see where I was going on the trail but having great light through the trees to view the surroundings. I couldn't help but feel the reverse of what I often do when on the trail when passing nearby landowners, like the trail users are on display as we glide by their backyards and farms. Instead, I doubt I would have been visible to anyone off the trail, though I could have seen them clearly. There aren't really any houses on this section of the trail so I mostly passed through cow pastures.

The sunset was colorful and fall was in the air with just a hint of crispness. Before the light faded, I was noticing the leaves begining to change for the first time. Most all of the changes so far are to yellow with the deeper reds and oranges to come in the coming weeks. The leaf change will bring lots of visitors to the region and to the trail. I'll try to keep an eye out and report on when I think the leaves are "peaking" in color for anyone who is interested in timing their visit.

I met a group of what I assume are neighbors back at the Watauga parking lot, just coming in from their evening walk toward Abingdon. We all agreed that the days are getting shorter and we're going to have to get out earlier to enjoy the trail in the daylight.

No comments: