Saturday, September 24, 2005

Creeper Classic 5K

I ran the Creeper Classic 5K this morning with about 120 (my estimate) others. This was the 20th anniversary of this particular race and it was in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Johnston Memorial Hospital in Abingdon. Other festivities followed later in the day at the hospital.

The race was well managed with lots of volunteers, door prizes, and some nice looking trophies (I didn't get a long-term look at one!) for overall male and female as well as top three in each age group. The t-shirts were 100% cotton and long sleved so it was worth the $18 entry fee. I also ran the Festival Chase 10K (also on the Creeper Trail) back in August, during the Virginia Highlands Festival, and this one was much better organized. I think that has something to do with this being a hospital-sponsored event (rather than Abingdon Parks and Rec) and that it was promoted through the State of Franklin Track Club out of Johnson City, TN.

The course is certified by TAC and begins about a quarter mile from the Abingdon trailhead at a small park, just beside the newly developed community of Elderspirit. It's an out and back course that crosses under Interstate 81, across the golf course and down through the pasture (the manure smell was...invigorating) to a turnaround point. The course is pretty flat to begin with but gradually descends as you go out. Of course, it's all uphill as you return. The corridor narrows fairly quickly at the starting line. I wasn't one of the faster runners on the starting line so I would up in back, eating the dust kicked up by the runners in front of me. It hasn't rained here in any amount in what seems like forever.

I wish I could say I spent more time observing the trail around me but I was concentrating on running a consistent pace. I did notice that the leaves have started to turn just the least little bit but again, it's been so dry, that may just be because of lack of rain rather than the fall season. If you're planning a leaf-observing trip to the trail, you still have some time.

Not that anyone cares, but I was pleased with my race. I ran a 10:00/mile pace the whole time and finished right at 30 minutes. I wasn't anywhere near placing in my age group but I'm just not that fast a runner so it was a good race for me.

My wife and two year old son met me at the finish line which was a nice treat. We hung around for most of the door prizes and awards before heading home.

No comments: