Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Vandalism

I've been informed that one of the new interpretive signs has been vandalized. Needless to say, I'm beyond disappointed. I'm furious.

The sign in question is near trestle #46 and describes the many trestles and bridges that span the old rail bed that now makes up the Creeper Trail. Vandals used a permanent marker to cover it with graffiti. I've not seen it yet nor a photo, but I'm told that one comment the vandal(s) made on the fiberglass was "This is not graffiti, this is art." Please allow me to disagree with this naive and juvenile display of a need for attention. I have a three year old and he knows better than to color on the walls.

These signs were financed with a generous grant by the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation. Each panel and its frame cost several hundred dollars to produce and volunteer labor by club members was used to dig into the ground and mount them in concrete. Now, with one swipe of the pen, a thoughtless and selfish person has defaced one to meet his own need for destruction.

The Forest Service law enforcement has been contacted and will be on the lookout for similar activity. If someone is caught, I will personally go to court to ensure that they are prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. I urge all trail riders to be on the lookout for vandals and to report any suspicious activity.

1 comment:

Sean Tubbs said...

Hi! I'm writing because I couldn't find another way to get in touch with you. I'm the producer of a Central Virginia radio show's podcast, and Secretary of Natural Resources Preston Bryant was the guest the other day. He mentioned that he'd be biking the Creeper Trail this weekend, and I thought maybe you might find that interesting.

here's the podcast.

But, sorry about the vandals, and I hope you've resolved the issue.