Sunday, October 23, 2005

VCT Club Picnic/Green Cove Station


We had a great time tonight at the annual picnic of the VCT Club. My wife and son joined me up along with some friends from Abingdon for the pot luck gathering at Green Cove Station, right next to the trail.

We got there a couple of minutes late and the program was almost over. There was one person receiving an award from the club for his contributions to the trail. I'll get his name and the details from somebody later. I'm sorry I missed hearing about it tonight. We were late because the curves on the road up to Green Cove didn't exactly sit too well with a pregnant woman (my wife) and we had to pull over for a breath of fresh air. Luckily, she recovered quickly and we were on our way. However, just beware that Hwy 58 is a CURVY one for those who get motion sick. Don't think I'm making fun of my wife here. I've been in the same situation the last time I came up this way in one of the vans from the bike rental shop!

Anyway, we finally made it and joined the crowd of thirty or so folks for dinner and conversation. This was only my second club meeting so I only knew a few people but everyone was friendly and I made several new acquaintences.

The kids that were there had fun playing on the playground that is directly adjacent to the trail. If you have kids, this is a fantastic place to pause on the trail. There's the playground, a bathroom, and a general store located in the old train station (Hours 10-4). There's also ample parking here.

I've posted recently about geocaching but hadn't intended to look for any caches tonight. That is, until our son (age 2) accidentally "found" a cache that I didn't even know was around. We did our best to replace it correctly but he was no help with that task!

All in all, it was a really nice evening out.

Oh, I can't believe I forgot to mention that the leaves seem to be "peaking" in color at the upper elevations. Down in Abingdon and Damascus it's still early by comparison (or maybe not going to happen much this year at all say some) but up at Green Cove, there were lots of yellows and reds that were just beautiful in the late afternoon sun.

No comments: