Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Abingdon to Watauga Rd. and back 9/13/05

I dropped my son off for his first half-day of preschool this morning and decided to sneak in a quick ride while I had some time before lunch. I don't get to ride often during the week and was surprised by the number of people on the trail. Lots of walkers, mostly retirees but a couple of groups of moms and dads with strollers and at least two "serious-looking" runners. Even with all this foot traffic, I had good stretches of several minutes where I had the trail to myself.

I slowed down a bit between the crossing at the golf course and the next trestle, hoping to see the deer that I came across last week on this section. He didn't show himself, however, and I kept riding.

I love the tobacco farm at the Watauga end of this section. I've seen the famer out there a few times amongst his crop and I've wondered what he thinks of all these people who use the trail in his backyard. Someday I'd like to get off the trail and talk to him.

My cell phone rang with a message as I was on my way back in. Cell phone coverage on the trail is spotty at best and better toward town but even then not reliable. I had missed a call from my son's preschool teacher with news of his less-than-stellar adjustment to being left with new teachers in a new class. Oops. I guess riding this morning out of cell phone range wasn't the best decision by the stay-at-home dad. Once I got the message, though, I picked up the pace and rode right to his school which is fortunately, right at the trailhead.

All in all, a good morning ride at a good consistent pace.

No comments: